As a fun side project, I’ve started building a new box for my cube. I got tired of using cardboard boxes that were never quite the size I wanted or just fell apart too quickly. I decided to make it thick as I’m no expert with woodwork, and I get the added bonus of all that protection. If this goes well I will try building a box out of more refined materials in the future.
I don’t have the exact dimensions with me, but the outer dimensions of the box are something like 8 1/4″ by 11 1/2″. Each row is 2 3/4″ wide and 10″ long which is perfect for a sleeved card on its side and about 400 sleeved cards per row. There’s a small amount of wiggle room side to side, but not enough that cards can get damaged. My cube currently has 791 cards, 250 of which are basic land. The bottom half of the box is built. I gave it a test run last night and was pleased with the results.
I still have to build the top of the box. Once I’ve done that I plan on filling the screw holes, staining the wood, putting some padding in the box lid to hold the cards in place vertically when the box is closed, and putting some padding or weatherstripping where the box lid meets the bottom. The last one is to make sure the box has a little push against whatever latch I use, as well as keeping out unwanted wet elements if possible. It’s been a fun project so far. I can’t wait to finish it up and put it into use.